Sciatica is a condition where the sciatic nerve has been irritated.
The sciatic nerve is a large nerve that runs from the lower back down to the buttocks and to the back of the leg. If the nerve is irritated, it can cause low back pain that spreads to the buttock to the back of the leg.
Causes of sciatica
Sciatica is usually caused by spinal misalignment in the lower back area. When your spinal bones shift out of alignment it adds pressure on your spinal disc, nerve and muscles causing symptoms of pain or health problems.
When the spinal bone in your lower back shift out of alignment and adds pressure on your sciatic nerve, it creates symptoms as such.
Symptoms of sciatica
- Low back pain that radiates to the back of the leg
- Weakness in leg
- Numbness in leg
- Hip pain
- Tingling sensation in feet and toes
Who are at risk of having sciatica?
- Pregnant mothers – The extra weight bearing during pregnancy adds pressure on the sciatic nerve.
- Heavy lifting – Professions which require you do heavy lifting, increase the chance of back injuries. (Read: Bulletproof Your Back at Work Today)
- Sedentary Lifestyle – Sedentary posture can lead to joint dysfunction. This bad posture can lead to spinal misalignment, especially when repeated daily over a prolonged period of time.
Chiropractic Adjustments Align Your Spine
Chiropractic offers a non-invasive, safe and effective alternative to aggressive treatments.
Have your spine checked by one of our qualified Doctors of Chiropractic to see if chiropractic is right for you.
Chiropractic adjustments improve flexibility, alignment, and movement of your spine, as well as promote balance in your nerve system. Adjustments do more than just help you feel better, they help you function better in your life.
I was suffering from sciatica and frequent headache for almost 10 years. This has affected me physically and mentally. I will consistently feel down due to the poor quality of life.
After 2 years of undergoing the chiropractic care at Full Potential Chiropractic. I am now able to sit, stand and walk without the fear of pain around my back, limbs, tights and neck.
I am now able to sleep well, waking up feeling fresh This is a feeling that I never thought I could ever feel for years.
Thank you Full Potential and its team.