Many people think of chiropractic care as ONLY an effective treatment for pain. They relegate Doctors of Chiropractic to the category of muskulo-skeletal specialists, like physiotherapists.
Chiropractic is a life enhancement strategy. Chiropractic adjustments maximize your overall performance, most notably the function of your immune system.
How is that? Let’s unpack this a little further.
Spine Problems Weaken Your Brain
Everything that happens inside of you – your heart beating, lungs working, kidneys functioning, and your hormonal system, posture, immune system – is controlled by your brain through this two-way communication network.
Misalignments (known as subluxations) in your spine irritate and stress your nervous system causing distorted messages to be sent to your brain. This may cause your brain to function in an imbalanced fashion, weakening your brain’s ability to facilitate many of the functions of your life.
Subluxations are spine problems that have dramatic, far-reaching detrimental effects on your health.
Simply stated: subluxations can weaken your brain and weaken your health.
Your Nervous System Controls Your Immune System
Think of your immune system as being both hard wired and wirelessly connected to your nervous system. This is known as your “neuro-immune” system. Your neuro-immune system is a technical term for the relationship between your brain (central nervous system) and the cells of your immune system.
Here are the Basics:
- You get exposed to an “invader” (bacteria, germ, pathogen, allergen, parasite, etc)
- Your nervous system (Vagus nerve) senses the invader in your gut and airways, and sends signals to a specific part of your brain known as your brainstem and activates it.
- Your brainstem then activates your immune response. This may include, depending on the severity of the invader, increased mucus production, coughing, sneezing, diarrhoea or possibly vomiting. Think of this as your “wired” first line of defence.
- This nerve system activity will also sound the alarm and stimulate the appropriate immune system cells (histamines, phagocytes, cytokine, T-cells, etc) to attack the invader. Think of this as a your “wireless” secondary cellular response.
- Your immune system cells largely work through the inflammatory response to eliminate the invader.
Even the cellular aspect of your immune system activity is ultimately initiated by your brain through your nervous system.
Related Blog: Do Germs Really Make You Sick?
Again, this complex immune process is regulated by your master wiring system. Your nervous system has to be strong, balanced, and healthy in order for your immune system to optimally do its job.
Adjustments Restore Balance to Your Brain
So what are the benefits of being adjusted? There are many benefits!
- Restore movement to your spine,
- Reduce muscle tension,
- Improve flexibility and movement,
- Realign your spinal bones,
- Reduce stress and irritation to your nerves,
- Reset your posture,
- Reduce stress,
- Improve breathing and sense of ease,
- Stimulate healing input into your brain,
- Balance brain function and communication.
Adjustments provide a significant input into your brain, exciting areas of your brain that may be deficient, thus globally improving your brain function. Improved brain function will then optimize your health from the inside out.
Chiropractic adjustments, by having a profound impact on your brain, can improve the coordination and performance of your immune system.
Boost your brain and maximize your immune system with chiropractic care.